Sign making equipment uk
: Pentland catering equipment
Sign Making Equipment Uk
- Mental resources
- The act of equipping, or the state of being equipped, as for a voyage or expedition; Whatever is used in equipping; necessaries for an expedition or voyage; the collective designation for the articles comprising an outfit; equipage; as, a railroad equipment (locomotives, cars, etc.
- an instrumentality needed for an undertaking or to perform a service
- The necessary items for a particular purpose
- The process of supplying someone or something with such necessary items
- A tool is a device that can be used to produce or achieve something, but that is not consumed in the process. Colloquially a tool can also be a procedure or process used for a specific purpose.
- qualification: an attribute that must be met or complied with and that fits a person for something; "her qualifications for the job are excellent"; "one of the qualifications for admission is an academic degree"; "she has the makings of fine musician"
- Essential qualities or ingredients needed for something
- Money made; earnings or profit
- devising: the act that results in something coming to be; "the devising of plans"; "the fashioning of pots and pans"; "the making of measurements"; "it was already in the making"
- The process of making or producing something
- (usually plural) the components needed for making or doing something; "the recipe listed all the makings for a chocolate cake"
- An object, quality, or event whose presence or occurrence indicates the probable presence or occurrence of something else
- Used to indicate that someone or something is not present where they should be or are expected to be
- gestural: used of the language of the deaf
- a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened); "he showed signs of strain"; "they welcomed the signs of spring"
- Something regarded as an indication or evidence of what is happening or going to happen
- mark with one's signature; write one's name (on); "She signed the letter and sent it off"; "Please sign here"
- United Kingdom: a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
- .uk is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the United Kingdom. As of April 2010, it is the fourth most popular top-level domain worldwide (after .com, .de and .net), with over 8.6 million registrations.
- United Kingdom
- UK is the eponymous debut album by the progressive rock supergroup UK. It features John Wetton (formerly of Family, King Crimson, Uriah Heep and Roxy Music), Eddie Jobson (fomerly of Curved Air, Roxy Music and Frank Zappa), Bill Bruford (formerly of Yes and King Crimson) and Allan Holdsworth (
DELUXE FLAT ENGRAVING MACHINE
The diamond tip flat engraving machine is an extremely versatile and portable engraving machine. It is designed for engraving a variety of materials utilizing a diamond point which does not rotate but works with downward hand pressure on the diamond tip arm. As a result, engraved letters, logos, etc, have a brilliant diamond cut with a deep lasting shine. The machine's principle use is for engraving on medals, bracelets, pendants, pet & ID tags, keys, pens, trophy plates, watches, lighters, metal labels and a multitude of other items. Full vice adjustment offers the operator a high degree of accuracy in holding and positioning all kinds of engravable items. Using the pantograph arm, the engraving letter can be adjusted to 21 different sizes. This facilitates engraving a wide range of character sizes using one original master type. Comes complete with a set of engraving type (single line block) 5/8" (16mm) on 1-1/4" (32mm) blanks. Will accomodate fonts with a maximum blank size of 1-1/4". Simple and easy to use. For our complete line, visit our Amazon site: http://b2bprofessionaltools.net
John Hodgson Ltd (Bristol)
John Hodgson, son of the landlord of the Pilgrim Inn near Bristol Bridge (whose name was also John Hodgson), had grown up in the mid 1800s surrounded by the sights and sounds of the nearby St Nicholas Market.
The hustle and bustle of the market held a real attraction for the young man, and accordingly John took what was to prove a key decision not to follow his father into the licenced trade; instead he started work on one of the market stalls. It was there in St Nicholas Market that he became captivated by a young girl who regularly travelled from the Mendips to the market, where she sold rabbits - a very popular food in Britain right up until the second world war.
John and Emma became engaged and eventually tied the knot in St Mary Redcliffe. Eager to become successful, the young couple decided to take a unit in the market, where they sold fruit and vegetables. They had no way of knowing that that single unit rented in 1895 was to be the foundation of the John Hodgson group of companies.
John and Emma’s little business took off, and such was their phenomenal success that by 1910 the Hodgsons were incredibly operating six market units as well as having retail shops in Redcliffe Hill and Stapleton Road.
In a shrewd move they acquired 150 acres of land at Frenchay a mere six years later, where they set about establishing a market garden. The rhubarb, cabbages and other vegetables they grew there supplied much of the produce for their wholesale
business. It was there in Frenchay that the enterprising couple set about constructing specially designed rooms for the express purpose of ripening green bananas.
Theirs was the first such facility in the country. The business had proved to be every bit as successful as John and Emma had hoped back in 1895; justifiably proud of what they had achieved over the years they were able to retire in 1939. Unfortunately all the land was compulsorily purchased in 1947 by the local council.
Meanwhile their son, the third John Hodgson, had been learning the trade and in 1928 he and his wife Margaret set up their own banana business as John Hodgson Jnr.
A few years later he expanded into Swindon, where in 1935 he opened a second branch of the business. But war was looming on the horizon, and with the declaration of war with Germany in 1939 everything went pear-shaped for the up-and-coming business.
The most difficult and challenging years for John Hodgson Jnr were about to begin. Bananas represented around 80 percent of their trade, and when imports of the fruit stopped they were hit very badly. It was to be another six years before the first bananas that had been seen since before the war were to arrive from the West Indies; in fact children born during the war had never seen a banana before, and had no idea that they had to peel off the skin before they could eat the fruit ?.
Another blow quite literally fell when the firm’s warehouses on the Welsh Back became victims of a Luftwaffe bomb. It is said that bad luck comes in threes, and the Hodgsons found it to be true when their premises at 49 Baldwin Street were badly damaged by bomb blast.
There was nothing to be done except to go on as best they could, and with courage and determination John and Margaret, together with their right hand man Reg Trevett who joined the firm in 1945, weathered the storm and concentrated on redirecting the business into wholesale
fruit and vegetables. Those difficult years were punctuated by Hitler, bankers, non-paying customers, tax inspectors - and the rationing that Britain had to endure for far longer than the duration of the war.
John and Margaret’s son Keith, who had signed up for service in the army, joined the firm in 1955 after he left the forces. With Keith as its chairman, the wholesale
fruit market acquired 15 acres of land at St Philips Marsh, where a new wholesale
fruit centre was built.
Keith was able to purchase five units in the market, and acquired a further nine making a total of 14 units. Fifteen thousand square feet of warehousing was purchased nearby to meet the demand for further space. It was from here that the transport business developed, with 30 vehicles distributing produce to supermarkets and warehouses, and making other delivery runs to retailers and wholesale
markets around Wales and the south west.
A management buy out of the wholesale
business in 1980 enabled Keith Hodgson to concentrate on the transport side, which was prospering in its position near the market in St Philips Marsh.
The company was on track for further diversification, however, when with Neil Adams they started an employment agency for drivers and warehousemen. A specialist department was later added to the service in placing information technology personnel through the Internet, which now trades independently as Falcon Services Ltd.
In 1991, under the guidance of Peter Barrett, who had worked with Keith during the 1960s, the company made important developments in the Birmingham a
Sons Ltd (Bristol)
The 19th century ironmongery businesses did not all develop in the same direction, as the story of Gardiner Sons and Co. of Broad Plain proves.
The firm was started in 1825 by a Zacharias Cartwright, as a builders’ and cabinet makers’ ironmonger at 11, John Street. Legend has it that he did not disdain to deal in junk as well.
When he died, the business was acquired by his nephew Emmanuel Chillcott, who in 1860 took on a partner Alfred Gardiner. He was the son of John Gardiner, founder of Wathen Gardiner and had been sent by his father to Australia to learn business methods. He came home, and expanded Chillcott’s little firm into a huge empire.
Alfred’s two sons, John and Thomas, joined him in 1871, and in 1874 they bought an ex-boot factory in Nelson Street. Gradually property was bought in All Saints Street and Duck Lane, where they made windows and ironwork and church furnishings, and in 1897 Thomas opened the Midland Ironworks in St. Philips.
The Nelson Street and All Saints Street works became so huge that one assistant who had worked for the firm for a year had to ask one of the Gardiners how to find the way back to his department. The firm had representatives travelling by horse and trap all over the West and into Wales.
The Midiand Ironworks was supplying shop signs, shop fronts and steel work for building, the ironmongery department fitted out restaurants and hotel kitchens, and there were lighting and gardening departments, as well as a huge range of plumbing and building equipment on sale. In the Boer War, the firm made saddle arches for the cavalry, and in the First World War trench mortars, bombs and aeroplane parts.
In 1930, Gardiner’s bought the Queen’s Hotel, which had been built in 1854 in Queen’s Road, for their main retail showroom. They converted the upstairs bedrooms to offices and rebuilt the old stables, dining room, lounge and cellars as showrooms, making it one of the biggest enterprises of its kind in the country. They renamed it Beacon House.
When the Second World War came, production at the Midland Ironworks changed almost overnight. They made transport boxes for torpedoes, panels for the famous Bailey Bridges and lattice girders for the sea-borne Mulberry harbour. They also built gun mounts, radar mounts, rocket launcher bases and exhaust pipes for the Bristol Aeroplane Company, and, most secret of all, experimental models in copper of the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious and the battle cruiser HMS London. So hush-hush was the work that the designers, who were experimenting with flooding valves, had to work under cover of darkness, and the models were taken from the works through a window, so that the employees would not see them.
After the war, Beacon House was sold to Taylor’s and then to Jones, both department stores, and in 1958 the firm sold the Nelson Street and All Saints Street works and moved to their present home, the former soap factory.
In 1970 they were taken over by Canton Industries, now part of Hawker Siddeley, and the manufacturing part of the business was discontinued. The builders’ merchants side of the firm continued to expand with branches at Cirencester and Shepton Mallet, and Haskins joined the firm on a franchise basis in 1972. The last Gardiner left the firm in the Fifties.
It is just possible that the family dates back to Cabot’s time, for a John Gardiner sailed with him to America. Another John Gardiner was Warden of the Merchant Venturers in 1626.
Related topics: new holland equipment history sports equipment restaurant equipment canada sell farm equipment commercial kitchen equipment adelaide science lab equipment list video equipment auctions camping equipment southampton mountain equipment kongur jacket review
- (月) 05:03:29|
- Category: None